12/25/2009

Motherly influence. Her gift is my gift.

I have to brag. My mother makes the most amazing hooked rugs. She inherited the skill from her mother and a couple of my siblings are carrying the tradition, somewhat. Her entire house has beautiful scatter rugs of every design and her wall hangings are equally as beautiful. She buys designs but also creates her own. She dyes all of her wool. I never caught the rug hooking bug, but I did try it for a while. Probably best I not take on another fiber art at the moment.
This most recent rug took our breath away. She made it as a Christmas present for my brother and his wife.

What a cheery rug! What is so amazing is my mom is 81 years old and has very disfigured hands from rheumatoid arthritis: she still perseveres in making these rugs, only not as fast. She managed to place hook a small picture of Deep Spring Farm in the background of the rug.









This my brother and his friend....but notice the wall hanging on the wall. That is another one of my mother's hooked rugs. It's a Currier and Ives winter picture ~ but hooked in wool. It is gorgeous.

And here is another brother ~ (the recipient of the rooster rug; lucky guy!)  But on the wall, (graced and partially hidden by the silly sofa pillows), is another wonderful hooked rug wall hanging Of geese and the moon.

Anyhow, these are just a couple of dozens and dozens she has made over the years.
Here is the artist. My mom, Joan Keefe.
 Kudos to you and your vast talents, Mom and thanks for letting me play with cloth and yarn and glue and thread and needles of all shapes and sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment