12/19/2009

Baking Day, well at least for the little tarts

No surprise here: baking is something I have always enjoyed during the holidays but with little time nor reason to bake I have to be a little more selective to the treats we enjoy during this time of the year. One of my favorite tea/coffee time treats are "Maid Of Honor Tarts" or "Derby Tarts". I always make them.  Essentially they are mini pecan pies~ very mini ~ which makes them even more enjoyable. Also, it doesn't make a ton of cookies which I appreciate.
These cookies are very nice for gift giving.






Maid of Honor Tarts
Filling:
Melt: 1/4 cup butter
Add: 1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup sugar ( I use part brown sugar)
1/2 cup finely chopped or ground nuts. (I use pecans)
1 egg, well beaten
Pie crust - 1 single pie crust recipe
Bake 375 degrees for 12-13 minutes. 


Roll out pie crust very thin. Cut with a small 2" scalloped edge or plain edged biscuit or cookie cutter. Place in mini cupcake pans. No need to grease the pans as they will not stick due to the fat in the pie crust. Lightly press each crust circle into pans. Fill, but DO NOT overfill the pasty shells. They puff up and expand when baked. 
Makes about 3 dozen mini tarts.
And yes as a time saver you can use a pre-made frozen pie crust

No comments:

Post a Comment