12/26/2009

The Day after....thinking something healthy, like Carrot Soup and while I'm at it, more ornaments.

I swear this soup has restorative qualities. Around 10:00 a.m this morning as I was busy working in my sewing room I knew I needed to make this soup again. It's probably the 4th time I've made it since early October. I've already sampled a couple of spoonfuls and already I'm feeling back to my old self after imbibing in too much rich food and spirits on Christmas Eve and Day.
Don't be taken back by the addition of the crushed pineapple in the recipe. Somehow it elevates the soup to a new level, hardly indistinguishable and is a perfect balance with the ginger and curry. This recipe is from one of my favorite recipe books
"Soup Makes The Meal" by Ken Haedrich. I've tried numerous recipes from this book and have enjoyed them all. It's one of those recipe books that doesn't sit on my shelf. 

Curried Carrot and Pineapple Soup
2 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp. ginger
5 large carrots
1 large potato, peeled and diced
1 bay leaf
4 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 tsp salt
1-8 oz can crushed pineapple
Melt butter in large saucepan over med. heat and add onion. Cook until softened for 8 -9 min. Add curry powder and ginger and cook stirring for 30 sec. Add stock, carrots, bay leaf , potato and salt. Bring to boil then reduce heat heat to mod. low. Cover tightly and simmer until carrots are very tender......about 20 min.Transfer solids to a food processor or blender (remove bay leaf) adding a ladleful or two of the broth. Add the pineapple then process the solids to a smooth puree. Stir the puree back into the soup. Reheat and enjoy.
While I was in the Christmas spirit. I dove into my Christmas fabric this morning and put my energies into making a couple more of the quilted ornaments. I can't get into making these during the year, but always seem to find the motivation now for next year. I may give these away as gifts next year...sort of like buying the after Christmas sales and saving them for gifts next year. I LOVE doing that. Well the pattern is such a great way to use up bits and pieces of fabric and ribbon.
In fact, the ball that has satin ribbon in the center is from the package my mother-in-law gave me. It was a bathrobe with red satin ribbon around it from Macy's AND the box was also wrapped in white satin ribbon. In fact as I was opening the gift, I saw the ribbon and thought, " I can't wait to use this for some craft or sewing project. Well, they didn't go to waste. They now adorn the center of the green and red ornament. I cut them into squares equal to the width of the ribbon. 
I took the time to put sew on little glass beads on and it's a pretty special little ornament with some significance. Perhaps I will keep that one...I guess it will be my 2009 ornament. Not only that, my mother-in-law hit the "ball outta the park" with the bathrobe. I love it and finally I can toss out my tattered and thread bare 11 year old bathrobe. I'll have to relay the great pleasure I obtained from both gifts. (The ribbon AND the bathrobe)

No comments:

Post a Comment