5/05/2010

Cleaning out the sewing supplies and the freezer

A week of activities. Then last two weeks were spent helpingh with costumes for our School Drama Club's production of "I Remember Mama". I love this show, but this was especially wonderful as the cast was truly amazing.
We had to come up with most of the costumes from what we could salvage in our costume room and scouring the local second hand shops. Along with resewing and fitting and reconstructing costumes, I made 6 nurses caps from a pattern I found on-line. Amazingly so, they were made with things I had on hand; muslin, stabilizers, fusible interfacing, spray starch. In fact it pretty much used up a good deal of my interfacing, as well as other things in my sewing cabinet.  Easy and I made them all within a 2 hour period. Here is the website: http://sewing.about.com/library/nnurse.htm
The pattern was easy and fun. No sense buying a costume!

The weather has been gorgeous. Time spent outdoors is just great and the birds are absolutely deafening on Deep Spring Road. We spotted our first bluebird. The aerial battles between the bluebirds and the swallows are pretty constant. Hope the bluebirds hold down the fort. I managed to catch a friend basking in the sun
Of course, we are preparing the garden beds for another year of growing. Last year we purchased a share of a local CSA to buy our organic vegetables and we are doing the same this year. Since we will be receiving new vegetables with a month or so, I have been spending the last few weeks starting to clean out the freezer of last summers bounty. I had one bag of frozen pumpkin puree left and as unseemingly as it seems for a springtime dessert, I made our favorite recipe for pumpkin bars. I think I liked them just as well now as in the fall. First of all, pumpkin puree made by ourselves is satisfying and tasting pumpkin a few months after the holidays was quite pleasant. Cleaning out the freezer; you do what you have to do!
Anyhow, these are delish. It also makes a ton; plenty to share with a friend or neighbor.

PUMPKIN BARS
4 eggs
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 (15 ounce) can or 2 cups solid pack pumpkin
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup golden raisins
ICING:
1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese,
softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk
DIRECTIONS:
1.    In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Pour into an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Cool completely.
2.    For icing, beat cream cheese, sugar, butter and vanilla in a small mixing bowl. Add enough of the milk to achieve desired spreading consistency. Spread over bars.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPGSmGn-oXs

    Yes, it IS time to clean out the freezer! Brings back memories, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you know it. I would resurrect that show in a heartbeat! Although I think I've had enough "Nuns" lately.

    ReplyDelete